Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Totally burnt out and ready for a vacation

with none in sight.  Only school fees! :-D

Was talking 'puppy' with a friend today and it is its own world of toilet training and house breaking and socialization.  Crate training or not? Where will the pup sleep?  How will we figure out day care?  Mentioned to the friend that I was nervous and excited about becoming responsible for yet another life on top of the two I have on hand.  And that is already a game of self-doubt day in and day out.


She said bringing up a pup is almost identical to having an infant in the house, except that pups get toilet trained faster, trained for behaviour faster, do not throw temper tantrums and don't talkback.  Phew, maybe I can deal with this after all.

Talking of the two legged kids, had a few of my son's friends over for lunch and playtime for a couple of hours today.  Planned things out well ahead of time, even ran away to my parents' in the morning to help them set up, drove five kids back home from school all by myself (yes, am having some mindblock problems after years of serious driving about rush hour traffic and rulelessness), fed them and they took care of themselves.  My son is the man about town today - he is so chuffed and is all blown up with pride.  Funny how little it takes to make their day and memories.  And how little I had to 'give'.  Took the day off because I need to stop and breathe or have something drastic happen....so did not do this for him.

I was able to keep my cool the whole day, get stuff done at home and work on a day off without resentment and all that was different today was that my presence was not required at ONE place at a certain time.  The difference it makes to my mindspace is quite phenomenal.

Also got to polish up some lifeskills for my mentee....my helper's son in Std. 8.  We have been working on his Math skills since July last year.  And it is final exam time.  The poor chap is so diligent.  If I give him four exercises to do of 15-20 sums each, he will have it done, doubts marked and ready for the next exercise.  He is a pleasure to teach - another one of those 'give' situations that feels like 'taking'.  Two evenings a week and we have steadily brought his confidence levels and marks to dealable heights.  Not nosebleed yet...but hey, today, anything's possible!

Off to websearch doggy products....kind of like setting the nursery up.  I know what I don't want.  And a list of what I need.  I want my pup to be happy to come home...kind of like the kids are now.  And that is an achievement that sounds ordinary but is the most phenomenal of them all.  I know - I went back to my parents' today by choice to work to set them up (very little - only a couple of hours worth) on my day off.  No duty this....more of the 'give'-'taking'!

G'night!

No comments: