Sunday, April 4, 2010

Right to Education

I amend my post on the Women's reservation.....the part that talked about no justification for choosing some people to educate.  The Right to Education bill is here!  At long bloody last!  I guess a few decades late is still okay for us in India.  Our politicians are only now getting to power before knee surgery times.  Take as much reservation as you want, people....now regardless, you have to educate everyone.  My stance of reservation is cancelled.  To me it is no longer a relevant discussion.  What are we reserving?  A seat at a JNU?  Okay, no problem.  Educate the rest and they will give us JNUs all over the place.  So long as we give the law the implementation it deserves.


I have always been corny patriotic and quite naively optimistic about life in India.  Working at an NGO, visiting a police station and seeing a cop thrash a guy around to show his power (to us!), I came back quite disillusioned one day.  But there is something in the air and water that just tells me that it is not possible for India to not thrive....hope springs eternal.  Don't ask me how or why.  It just is and I love it.

The attitudes that build pessimism in this country are galore.  Personally, I have seen all kinds of attitudes from reaction to the tamil-kannada family we have built, with genes and adoption ('They' have genes too, guys!!), our non-religious 'holidays, ahh, we can sleep in!' mindset, I will not name it all because we have to have SOME privacy! :-D

What stuns me is the definite and authoritarian tone - 'we know it does not work' or 'In India, this will not work' or 'yeah, yeah, you young people will change when you get hit a few times' or even 'we are like this only!'  At long last comes some fresh air - Right to Information, Right to Education, public discussions on BT Brinjal....I am liking.  High time, if you ask me.  I mean, what the heck were octogenarians doing sitting on education?  Between the MM and AS(S) factors, they have to have a few centuries of prejudice to break through to even see the other side, much less join it and lead it forward.  Kapil Sibal can be the next PM - I will even campaign for him.

He has taken an 'establishment' everywhere and shaken it upside down.  Educators get stuck too.  And now the ideas can come out of the woodwork and our kids might finally get an education....even I can teach them to be literate and I should be nowhere near teaching!

This fresh breath of air was flavored by today's news of Dinakaran going on leave.  Guys, time to take pessimism off the national flag.  I am saying - optimistic and proud of shedding tears at the National Anthem, we are like this only!

G'night!

No comments: